On 27th and 28th September 2021 the Research Center Data Lab and the Master in Digital Journalism and Communication Luiss, along with MediaFutures, organizes two workshops of e-Literacy with a special focus on data journalism, artificial intelligence and the fight against disinformation. The experience will be concentrated in two sessions named: The AI times: application of artificial intelligence to journalism. These free events of e-literacy will be open to the participants of MediaFutures and to the general public. They will be in Italian language with a simultaneous translation in English, in order to guarantee an international free access. The participants or any external person that is interested should register individually for each session: 27th September and 28th September, from 14.30 to 18.30 (CEST).
The workshops will focus on how data visualization and journalism can work together to promote freedom of expression and citizen participation. The two sessions will have different speakers and both encounters will be led by Gianni Riotta. The first day, the speech will be concerned with global citizens’ scientific and data literacy, horizontal data access and source transparency and reliability, methodologies, best-practices and support. It will highlight the importance of the database to aim increasing transparency, digital participation and democracy for and with citizens. Moreover, It will be a practice demonstration of one the most advanced AI, the current moment, Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3 (GPT-3).
Instance on 28th september, it has been confirmed for the round table the presence of international journalists. Here they will speak about their personal experience as war correspondent, media, public policy, cyber security and policies, misinformation and disinformation, in different contexts. These expert panels have the purpose of communicating to assistants the basic knowledge to understand the impact of viral dissemination of disinformation on democratic systems of government.
- Livia De Giovanni, President of the Master of Journalism and Digital Communication and Director of Luiss Data Lab, Professor in Statistics at Luiss University
- Vladimir Alexeev, Digital Experience Specialist, Digital Resident at DB Schenker
- Cristina Alaimo, Assistant Professor in Digital Economy and Society at Luiss University
- Elena Musi, Lecturer in Communication and Media at The University of Liverpool
- Giuseppe Italiano, Professor of Computer Science at Luiss University
- Debasish Pattanayak, Postdoctoral Researcher at Luiss University
- Gianni Riotta, Director of the Master of Journalism and Digital Communication, Director of Luiss Data Lab
- Francesca Paci, Journalist at La Stampa and Luiss University
- Francesca Mannocchi, War Correspondent and freelance Journalist
- Costanza Sciubba Caniglia, Special Editor Harvard Kennedy School (HKS) Misinformation Review Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy;
- Laura Carpini, Head Cyber Security & Policies Departament, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Italy
- Carlo Bonini, Journalist, Writer, Deputy Directors at la Repubblica